21 January 2007

I shyed away....Perche??

Mike asked if I wanted to speak italian with him last night. Yeah....and I shyed away like a little girl...running away from a relative who constantly kisses me.

It is an ongoing battle with me. Should I speak or not? Damn it...sorry for the profane language. Alas I am a constant perfectionist on myself. I really want to stop this constant fear of sounding idiotic attitude towards talking with friends. That only want me to speak with them. And want me to prevail and conquer the Italian language and make it my own.

Worrying is a waste of time...non si preoccupi è felice!

and the battle continues....wish me luck....

domani e`un altro giorno!

2 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Ciao Katerina....speak speak speak - sound stupid...it's the best thing you could do for yourself. After a while you'll make less mistakes - but if you want to say everything perfect the first time around, you'll always second-guess yourself. :)

Ce la fai!! Fidati.

Anonymous said...

I have two (hopefully) inspiring things to say:

1. you know how a foreigner comes to America and you just LOVE his/her accent and the cute little mistakes they make cause it's not their first language, and you think it's really sweet and charming and exotic and sexy? Now it's your turn to be the sweet, charming, exotic foreigner. Work it! :-) I now like having my accent and making my mistakes - I've had several of my friends tell me that they think it's so pretty. weird huh. :-) So, hey - just talk!! :-)

2. A teacher from Buenos Aires was doing a special tango workshop on embellishments for women. Though it's about dance, it can also be about language: I shall quote the article: "She kept saying to her students, 'Mas fea! Mas fea!' which means 'More ugly!' Let your embellishments be 'ugly' and imperfect -- do them with personality and gusto!" It's better to get out there and do it 100% with a few errors than to only do it half-way or not do it at all. :-)