31 December 2006

SURPRISE!!!!!!!

My family is the best! My friends are the best! My dad is the best! My mom is the best! MY NANA IS A GREAT LIAR!!!!! Everyone was in on it...and in true fashion I had no idea. Even my brother made me a video on my travels since and of all of us together, family! Family....so important! Never in my life I thought they would do this, because they hate to see me leave. Alas I had my first surprise party and it was a SUCCESS!

Success has been a theme this whole week leading up to my departure. I have done everything under the sun to prove to Mr. Oddo at the consulate that I am of italian descent and Alas I will be spending my last full morning on a train to hand in EVERYTHING to finalize my citizenship application. I was thinking about this process when I was eating lunch in Chicago with my parents (who insisted on coming with me), it is just a piece of paper. I told my mom on the train on the way back from the non-existent Mr. Oddo, "You know, it isn't a big deal mom. It is just something that I wanted but if it doesn't work out, No worries. Whatever will be, will be. I am not worried. I am American and lucky enough to be doing the things I am doing with my life, i.e. traveling, living in Italy, applying to be a citizen, these are all things that I pursued and all (except one) has come true. If you want something that bad, it will come in due time."

I am just a very grateful person and lucky to have people in my life are behind me all the way. Nothing like having that kind of support.

I also, during the well planned surprise, turned my car into the dealership that I bought it from 4 years prior. It was sad, but strangely enough as my dad and I drove away I had a very drunken/weak feeling. Like in some way, it was ok to let go of that car. Kind of when you come home from a night of drinking and you see your bed and say silently to yourself, 'I am so happy to see you again'. And crash onto that comfortable bed, with your blanket and stuffed cat nuzzled into your chest. :-) Yes I still have a stuffed cat, she was blessed by the pope. I am not ashamed of her. She has kept me safe so many moments in my life.

I was asked when I was getting ready to take my car in my mom said "why are you crying about your car and not about leaving me?" I said without hesitation, "Because I KNOW I am coming back." Yes, I am saying that now. Which makes me wonder what this year will unfold for me. Because when I left June 2005, I told my mom I don't know if I will come back. I wanted to stay there FOREVER!!!!! Who knows amici, famiglia, Nonna, Great Grandpa, Nana, Papa, Mom, Dad, Emmy, Jenny, Jay, Bry, Addy, I might meet the man of my dreams, and quit being myself, and just follow my italian all over the world......WAIT.......I AM SO SURE THAT WON'T HAPPEN, my luck isn't that good. :) And if you know me, I won't ever quit being myself and there is NO WAY I would follow a man. well....if he is cute, has gorgeous eyes, knows how to treat me....etc...perhaps I would take the plunge.

Basta....I am digressing.....I LOVE YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE FOR ME......you know who are!

a presto

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on everything girl!

Re: citizenship - why don't you just take all your stuff to Firenze and apply there? It's faster than Chicago if you ask me, and you can get a PdiS for waiting for citizenship... which means you can get on the public health system, etc... just a though :-)

erin said...

ohhh..ahhhh! Nice new layout :)

Congrats (I second Tina) - I know you're SO excited