08 February 2007

Rough Day

Today is better than yesterday. I got a good night's sleep and I feel like I am actually applying myself more than before in helping around the house. V caught me off guard yesterday morning when she said that I wasn't helping enough. In a way I believe she was right but again I feel like I am trying to consume a whole lot on what she wants me to do. Now I think I have got it.

I am pulling together all the strength I have to work my little butt off. All I can do is the best I can. Wish me luck!

I am very lucky to have the friends I have, if I didn't I don't know how I could survive here. As my sister said last night "if you leave or give up, than you won't be happy." Exactly! I am not one that gives up or comes crawling back to normality. I constantly like to be challenged and if it is doing things I don't normally do like folding laundry (doing it well) or dusting (yeah I don't do that at home) or keeping my room tidy and making my bed (that NEVER happens at home, right Mom?). In order to show myself and prove to myself "I can do this", then in my mind there is nothing I CAN'T do.

As my Dad used to say to me in college, "Katie, you will always prevail overall."

I constantly say that to myself to build the confidence I need to accommodate living with a family that is not my own. Thus the challenge continues....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your Dad. You will always prevail overall.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, I know exactly how you feel. Stick around, hang in there, and I'm sure you'll be fine. She could have been in a "mood" as we all often are...
Have faith in yourself, and remember this: You've made it this far - you're in Florence! It is always possible to change families/jobs/etc. in your situation.
I'm sure things will work out fine with Valentina, though.
In any event, I've had your job before and you know I'm totally here for you if you ever need to talk about your "fun" work experiences. ;-)
Take care and hopefully see you Monday or Tuesday!!
Tina

Anonymous said...

Katie you are my hero because of the courage you have shown this year in stepping out of your comfort zone. I'm sure that you want to do your best for your boss but you can only do what is humanly possible. Please be careful because it is very easy to be exploited when you are in a position like this (and I only say this to you in love from personal experience). Keep on doing your best but maintain a healthy balance in your day - ITALY is waiting to be discovered by you!